Typography Is The Meeting Point Of Text And Art.
It also touches of how the type is arranged. By the use of this tool, you can add style and personality to the text. Once the visitors open your page, they look the page as a whole. They look at the presentation of the information, how the text looks, the length of the lines, and the size and shaping of the letters among others. They use the above variable to determine the likelihood of getting the information that they need on the site. In a matter of seconds, They could go back or proceed to look for the desired information.
The Building Blocks Of Typography
Here are several elements that make up the art of typography.
1. Fonts- This is the style of the typeface with a specific size, width, and weight. The font is the delivery mechanism of style.
2. Typeface - A group of letters, characters, and numbers that share the same design e.g. Arial, Cambria
3. Line Length - Distance that text occupies between the left and right margins occupies in one line.
4. Kerning - The space between letters or numbers. A good kerning value makes the letters look natural to the eye.
5. Tracking - this is the letter spacing. The spacing should be uniform over the same passage
Why is Typography very important in web design
There are times that the visitors find it hard to read some information because the letters are bundled together, the words are so close to each other, or the typeface size is too small. This makes it too hard for visitors to read the information.
The inability to read may cause them to leave your page causing your conversion rate to go down. Others may make an effort to read the whole copy. However, they may not remember what they read but how hard it was to read. In both ways, the website may lose business opportunities.
Typography plays an important role in the comprehension and understanding of information, Content that is well formatted may require less effort to understand than poorly formatted copy.
The use of visual hierarchy can be used to create a pattern and make the most important elements stand out. You can use such elements as color, style, and size. The bullets, such as the ones used above, are also a vital way of highlighting product features.
Picking the right typeface for better conversions
1. Favor usefulness over expression. Pick a font that is easy to read and not just because it is pretty. Comprehension but not beauty would result in sales.
2. The typeface that you pick should not overpower the text. People should not concentrate on the style of your text but rather the content.
3. If you would like to pair two typefaces, you may use both the contrast and correspondence principles. For correspondence, you pair two typefaces that are different but similar enough to avoid subconscious comparison by the readers. The contrast principle allows you to pair typefaces that contrast but share a common trait, which makes them complete each other.
4. Study the niche that you are serving before selecting a typeface. Determine if the audience requires formal or informal font. Similarly, determine the ideal font size. If the audience has a large number of visually impaired persons, you should use a typeface that is large and simple.
5. In determining the ideal line length, avoid bloated sentences that are very hard to understand. Too short sentence lengths are also uncomfortable for the eyes.
6. The letter spacing should be optimized for the right density to avoid crowding the words. Cramped words are hard to comprehend. Likewise, bigger spacing makes reading hard.
In conclusion, remember a website design perth professional will be aware of all these points and automatically put them to practice on your web design for optimum results.